Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Swimming in the Atlantic Ocean - March 24, 2011

After we arrived in Cocoa Beach, we needed to find a place to eat. We decided that we couldn't be in Florida and not take advantage of the seafood, so went to Florida Seafood to eat supper. It was such a beautiful evening out that we went outside to check out the area while we waited for our table. There were some docks along the Banana River which we were able to check out with the beautiful sunset. Of course, when a restaurant is picked, not everyone is happy. Emma preferred to eat at McDonald's and was upset after we decided upon Florida Seafood. She decided to sit along the dock and pout. :( They had Gator Tail on the appetizer menu and we just had to try some. It turned out to be good and we were all so hungry the gator tail was devoured in minutes. Gage ordered Snow Crab from the menu! The unfortunate part about the fact that Gage loves crab legs, is that someone ends up getting to eat a cold meal because he needs lots of help cracking the shells. While we were waiting for our food to arrive, a man (clown??) was making his way around the tables telling dry jokes and making balloon animals for the kids. Gage decided a parrot would be a good choice. I think Emma chose a monkey, but she didn't want any pictures since she was in a sour mood. This was my supper. I can't remember what the dish was called, but it was shrimp something or other. It was okay. Not what I was hoping for, but it was tastey, even cold. ;-) We spent the night at Quality Suites after checking out a few of the beach shops. The next morning was dedicated to the beach!! The kids were so excited to get to see and swim in the ocean. The ocean was a bit chilly for my liking, but the kids had a blast! They loved jumping in the waves. The sun wasn't in the best location for pictures, but we made do with what we had. Gage decided that salt water wasn't very tastey! Emma was a little too brave for my liking. She kept wandering farther and farther out. Unfortunately for her she had 2 parents and 2 grandmas that had their eyes on her and kept calling her back. She didn't always listen, but she had 8 hawk eyes on her at all times! Since Dad wore his swim trunks, he went into the ocean with the kids after he took a run along the beach, barefoot...........just like he likes. ;) All 4 of us in the Atlantic Ocean! I decided I didn't really want to take a swim. Wading was plenty for me. Wading in the ocean. I went a little too far out and ended up getting my shorts wet with a big wave that came crashing in. Oh well! I was excited about meeting up with a friend of mine while we were at Cocoa Beach. Last fall, after my first Mission Trip to New Orleans, LA, I became good friends with several church members that also went on the trip. One of those friends had been spending time in Vero Beach, FL, visiting her daughter and family that lives there. She left Bismarck in Dec, before we moved, and planned to stay through Apr. 1. Great timing for us!! After exchanging a few letters we decided to meet in Cocoa Beach. Me and my good buddy Barb (a.k.a. BS, Spongebarb, peanutbutter stuck to the roof of my mouth!). Barb even brought me a jar of Jif Peanut Butter! What a friend!!!! Barb and her sister, (I feel terrible that I can't remember her name for sure, but I think it was Marilyn) was in Vero Beach visiting at the same time, so I was lucky enough to get to meet her as well. She lives in Minnesota, so she was glad to leave the snow as well! Scott visiting with Barb and her sister. (These are the grandmas that I mentioned had their eyes on Emma while venturing out into the ocean too far!) It was nice to have them helping us out! Gage decided to write some words in the sand, but wasn't very happy when the first wave came in and wiped out his message.


Ah, Emma writing sweet-nothings to me in the sand. ;-) She must have gotten some good rest in the night!




You better write fast before a wave comes Emma!!!




Playing in the sand. Sand is one of my least favorite things. What a mess it makes!!







Making sand pies. YUCK!




Emma decided to attempt a sand sculpture before we headed south to the Everglades. She had sand everywhere. We ended up having to go back to the hotel room and have the kids take a shower to get all of the sand off. What a mess they left in the tub!


We made Emma happy by getting a quick lunch to go at the McDonald's drive through so we could get started on our trek south to the Everglades for an evening kayak tour. We were looking at a 5-6 hour drive, so we were hoping the kids would take a big nap on the way. Yeah, right!!!! The Ford Fusion we rented was so uncomfortable for me that I had to take the head rest off because it was making me have a headache and neck and lower back pains. Removing the head rest helped some. At least I know I don't want a Ford Fusion one day!

No comments: