Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pain in the Neck

No, no, I am not talking about Scott. ;-) I am talking about a pain in the neck, literally. I've had some neck problems for quite some time now. I have decreased neck mobility, which I learned a few years ago when I went to my first chiropractor visit. I'm not a big believer in chiropractics, but I do believe it worked, when I was going. I went for a few weeks when I started, and that's also when it ended. Not because it wasn't working, but because it just gets expensive and my pain had subsided. I don't know that it increased my neck mobility, but it did help with the headaches and stress/tension in my neck. If I were still in Bismarck, I would probably be making appointments for the neck pain I have going on right now. I trusted my chiropractor. First she was a friend, and then she became my chiropractor. She knew how I felt about chiropractors in general, so I trusted that she wouldn't take advantage of me, and she didn't.

I'm not exactly sure why I am having all of this neck pain. I'm using the same bed and same pillow as I always have. I don't know if I slept wrong, causing a cramp/kink in my neck and now I just can't get rid of it or what? I cried out on Facebook a couple of weeks ago and had some responses from friends who have had similar problems and have gained much relief by the pillow they changed to. Some suggested memory foam and another suggested a D-Core pillow. She said it changed her life. How could I ignore that? I decided I needed to give it a try because all of the anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers I was taking wasn't really doing it for me. I found the D-Core pillow online and decided to order it. It arrived yesterday.

Last night, I was actually excited to go to bed, so I could use my new pillow. It wasn't the most comfortable pillow and I wondered if I might have troubles going to sleep. It didn't take me too long, as it sometimes does, but I was quite tired. The pillow is designed for back and side sleepers. I am both a back and side sleeper. The wait it works is that it has a D-shape sewn into the pillow and your head is cradled in the indention and then your neck is kept in alignment by the cushion that is made at the base of the pillow. As you turn onto your side and your head rolls to the side, the cushioned area increases, accommodating your shoulder height, allowing your spine to stay aligned.

This morning I woke up with a headache. :( It could have happened regardless of which pillow I used. It happens frequently. I understand that it can take a few weeks for a person to see results. My lower back was bothering me a little too. Again, this could have happened without regards to which pillow I was using. I took some Excedrin Migraine and went about my morning. As I was backing out of the driveway to take the kids to school, I noticed it wasn't as painful as I was looking back to see if any traffic was coming. I don't know if that is a result of the pillow, or the Excedrin Migraine. As I sit here at the computer typing, I don't necessarily have as much discomfort in my neck. Again, not sure if that is because of the pillow or the Excedrin Migraine. I will continue to use the pillow and see how things go. I pray it works. It wasn't TERRIBLY expensive. I think it was about $40. I bought a couple of normal pillows at a home outfitters store for about $20, so I guess this was double the price, so maybe it was spendy. However, I don't care about the price if it works. What I didn't like about ordering the pillow was that I was charged $11.95 shipping charges on the initial order. Then, when it arrived yesterday, I had to pay $15.13 more for PST, GST and Brokerage fees (whatever that is!). So, I pretty much paid for another pillow just to get the dumb thing shipped to me, making the pillow total around $65. OUCH! I hope it works, because I can't afford to test out the different types available on the market.

No comments: