Monday, February 28, 2011

Canada Basketball STARS

I see that I am slowing down in the blogging department again. I suppose because I don't have much to report. Same old, same old. I am getting very tired of the cold weather. I am usually not one to complain too much about the long winter, but I think this one is going to get to me! They are talking COLD temps again. Not that it ever warmed up here. There is also some snow in the forecast. Great!

The kids started basketball last night. It's mostly a skills camp that goes for 9 Sunday evenings. They brought home the registration sheets last week and when I asked them if they wanted to do it they both said no. Then when I questioned that, Gage said, "Well, it doesn't happen at the same time as football does it?" I assured him it would not interfere with his plans to sign up for football next fall. (We'll see about that!) So, he decided he would like to do that. Emma continued to say no, but I signed her up anyway. They enjoyed it. It was very basic stuff, which is what they need. This program focuses mostly on the fundamentals of basketball, instead of playing games. At this stage, I think that is what they need anyway. The coach did say they might divide up into teams and play a little, but mostly it is about the fundamentals. Emma had 2 classmates in the group, so I think she liked it more than she wanted to admit. Gage is the tallest in the group. Since there were so many kids, he asked all of the taller kids if they would like to go up into the next group. Gage said he would, but I really don't want to. If he does, that means we'll have to be there for 2 hours instead of 1. I think being one of the bigger kids, it might help him to stay interested. He likes being bigger and faster. They will meet Sunday evenings from 6-7p at Stonewall Centennial, which is the middle school here. They need activities to keep them busy, otherwise all they want to do is watch television or play on the computer. Oh, and FIGHT!
The coach had asked the kids to show him the BEEF. I must admit that is an acronym I have never heard of in basketball. It stands for Balance, Elbow (under the ball when shooting), Eyes (on the back of the rim) and Follow through. I will do my best to not laugh when he yells out for the kids to "Show me the BEEF!" LOL!

No comments: