Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Southwestern Chicken Soup

I typically don't post twice in the same day; however, I wanted to share a delicious recipe. Tonight for supper we had Southwestern Pheasant Soup. The recipe called for chicken, but since Scott was out hunting pheasants today and brought home a limit (3 birds), we used pheasant instead. I don't know when I've tasted soup this good! Seriously! Here goes:

1 jar Roasted Tomato Salsa (Tastefully Simple)
2-3 tsp Wahoo! Chili or Fiesta Party Dip mix (Tastefully Simple/we used the Fiesta Party Dip Mix)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
3 cups chicken broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
15 oz. can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained (we used black beans)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Blue Aztec Chips (Tastefully Simple) I did not have these, so we just used the new Multigrain Tostitos and they were great.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on high 2-3 hours. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and Blue Aztec chips. (Makes 4-6 servings) Also, just in case you decide to make it and have the same questions as we did about precooking the meat, the recipe did not say to do it, so we didn't, and it turned out great. We were a little skeptical about mixing the raw meat with all of the other ingredients, because typically you brown it first. Apparently the recipe is correct and no precooking is necessary, because the pheasant was cooked and delicious.

This is sooooooo delicious. I bought this Tastefully Simple Slowcooker recipe book for $1.95 at a party a friend had. I didn't realize at the time (I didn't see it prior to ordering) that all of the recipes call for Tastefully Simple products, although it certainly makes sense. Anyway, I know a Tastefully Simple consultant and ordered some of the products and this was the first one I've tried and it was sooooo good!

(Juanita, I believe you mentioned awhile back that you had pheasant to use up and I told you I had a good recipe. Well, this one is even better!! You should definitely give it a try.)

I'm sure chicken would be just as good, but the pheasant was great. And, it was even better because Scott hit the pellet this time instead of me. Typically I hit the darned pellets, if there are any, and usually just thinking of eating pheasant makes me cringe, but this recipe has saved Scott from a lot of future complaining about eating pheasants!!!

Let me know what you think when you give it a try!

No comments: