Thursday, January 31, 2008

School lunch

Every day after school, or during supper, I ask Gage, "What did you have for lunch?" He almost always replies, "A chef salad and breadstick." I keep quizzing him each day about his lunch. Sometimes I'm confused because I know the hot lunch is something he likes, but he continues to choose the chef salad. Then one day, not too long ago, when I asked him what he had for lunch, he said he had had the hot lunch because they were giving out breadsticks with the hot lunch that day. So then, I started figuring it out. Gage loves the breadsticks they serve with the chef salad. So much, in fact, that he will sacrifice the hot lunch just to have the breadstick. I asked him if he could get a breadstick with each hot lunch and he wasn't sure. He has since said that he can get it only at certain times with the hot lunch. On our walk to school this morning Gage asked me if I could ask his teacher, Mrs. Vetter, if he could get a breadstick with his hot lunches. I went into the school with him to ask. She said she wasn't sure about that, and she would find out for me, but if I wanted to ask the gal in the office, she could probably tell me and I wouldn't have to wait for her answer. I was more than happy to do that. So, I went to the office to ask the secretary. She wasn't sure and asked another gal in the office. They weren't sure, but thought that probably the breadstick only comes with the salad except on select days when it fits into the hot lunch menu. The secretary suggested I go downstairs to the lunch room to ask Lisa, the gal in charge of the cafeteria. SO, I went downstairs to the lunchroom and found Lisa. I asked her about getting Gage a breadstick with the hot lunches. I said that I am completely willing to pay for it. Well, guess what? She didn't know either! She then got on the phone to call someone else to find out if Gage could get a breadstick with the hot lunch. I'm sure you won't be surprised when I tell you that the gal that Lisa called didn't know either!!!!! You've got to be kidding me? I don't think I'm asking for anything too out of the ordinary here. Lisa said the gal she talked to wasn't sure and mentioned something about ala carte, and said that it might be a thing where if Gage gets one, then everyone else will want one too. Well, I'd say if all the other parents are willing to pay a little extra for their child to have a stinking breadstick, then why not? She took down my name and number and said she would call me when she got the answer. I never received a call and I'm not the least bit surprised about it. Geez, you'd think I was asking for the moon! I guess I'm going to just have to figure out what kind of breadsticks these are and send them with Gage myself to eat with his lunch? I know they are really trying to make the school lunches healthier, etc, and they are concerned nowadays with childhood obesity. Gage doesn't have a weight issue at all, and he wants a breadstick with his hot lunch for crying out loud! I guess the salad is probably healthier for him anyway, but sometimes he comes home from school very hungry, despite the snacks of fruits or vegetables I send for him in the afternoon. I guess I'll have to start sending breadsticks. AND, if I can find whole wheat breadsticks, that would be even better. You can even buy whole wheat Zesta crackers now, so I might be able to find some whole wheat breadsticks? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

No comments: