Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Giving Tree

This is my favorite time of the year, when the giving trees go up in our community. Today at church the Christmas tree was decorated with paper ornaments that list items that people who are less fortunate want for Christmas. I feel sad when I see some of the requests that are for things that we take for grated every day, like underwear, socks, clothes, gas, etc. Each year we each pick an ornament or two off of the tree. This year Gage picked an ornament of a 14-year-old boy who wants a board game, I chose a Mom who wants Huggies wipes and Emma chose a family who wants Homemade goodies (not a big surprise on that one!). After we got home and ate lunch, we went to Walmart to get our gifts. (Emma was not happy that hers has to wait a little while) Gage picked out a Heroscape board game. I hope this is appropriate for a 14-year-old. It said for ages 8+. Anyway, it is a $40 game. I asked Gage if he would like to use his own money for this and he didn't want to. I decided I would use my $100 gift card winnings that I won with my work to buy our gifts for the giving trees. I couldn't decide what to use it on, and I think this was the perfect choice. We will use the remaining amount on the Giving Tree at Gage's school.

While we were at Walmart, Emma had a TERRIBLE case of the "gimmies". I told her over and over that we were there to buy gifts for OTHER people, not ourselves. She didn't like that idea. While we were over in the baby section getting Huggies wipes, Santa Claus appeared. He was asking all of the kids around what they wanted for Christmas. We were waiting for him to come to us, and Gage was so worried I was going to leave without letting him talk to Santa. Finally Santa made his way over to us.

Santa: "What is your name little girl?"
Emma: "Emma."
Santa: "What would you like for Christmas?"
Emma: "A Webkins." (P.S. Kysa, you certainly picked out the right gift for Coly to give to Emma!).
Santa: Santa turns to Gage, "And you?"
Gage. (He was responding to the 2 questions he asked Emma). "Gage."
Santa: "Alright."
Gage looked at me puzzled as Santa was starting to walk away.
Mom: "His NAME is Gage. Gage, tell Santa what you would like for Christmas."
Gage: "Star Wars Legos."
Santa: (I can't remember his stupid comment he made to cover up his mistake)

That made the kids' days. However, I wasn't impressed with Santa. I'm not sure what kind of gauge he thought Gage was asking for, but I guess that's what you should expect at Walmart? Gage asked as we were walking away, "Mom, is that the real Santa?" I said, "No Gage, that was Santa's helper. And do you want to know how I know that Gage?" "Yeah." "Because I think the real Santa would have known your name is Gage."

No comments: