Friday, August 22, 2008

Great first days

Gage and Emma both had a great first day of school. It was really nice, the difference I see with how Emma replays her day for me and how Gage does. I like using our walks (it's a little tougher on bikes) to and from school as a way to talk and find out things about his day. He can never remember what happens during the day which is totally amazing to me, considering the memory this kid has. Emma on the other hand, can give me a play-by-play of her day. She was very excited about having pepperoni pizza, green beans and a fruit for lunch. Her telling me different things about her day may have gotten Gage to speak up a bit so he wasn't left out, so that could be a good thing. Unfortunately Emma has a terribly behaved girl in her class. She was into everything and even got yelled at once. Mrs. Just doesn't yell, so I'm sure she must have been at the end of her rope. That is such a shame. Both for the teacher and for the students. It bothers me when there are disruptive kids and you know that they are taking up more of the teacher's time, which is taking away learning time for the others. Hopefully it was more of a first day thing, but I doubt it.

Gage had his first soccer practice last night. He was worn out from all of the running. It's been a few years since he's been in soccer, so I'm sure he's forgotten about how much running you have to do. He is not an aggressive player though, and it drives me nuts when he's just standing back waiting for someone to kick it to him. That's never going to happen! He just doesn't like to get in there and fight for the ball. I mostly want him to find a sport that he really likes and then we'll pursue it. I also want him to learn that it's important to keep active.

Speaking of active, I attempted, again today, to ride around the Tom O'Leery loop. Unfortunately I had to walk up the same 2 hills today. I need to figure my gear shifting out so that I can pedal down the hills to help me up the next ones. Not to mention there's a wind advisory out today and it wasn't helping me any. However, I can't even use that as an excuse. It's just going to take a while to get the muscles in my legs and hips strong enough to make it up those darn hills!

I didn't get any scrapbooking done yesterday, but I did attempt to get things organized. I've just been piling things on the table all summer long and it was a mess. I still need to get a bunch more organizing done before I can actually scrapbook. I have 2 huge piles of pictures that I've had printed up that need to get categorized in my power sort box. At least they are printed though! I still have to go back and print pictures from our Medora trip up until current. I have taken several hundred photos this summer and it will take me FOREVER to get them all scrapbooked, not to mention I'm 2 years behind already! I'll get to plugging away though and hopefully get myself done with the year 2006. Actually, I need to finish Gage 1st grade year and Emma's Jr. K year before I get into finishing 2006. I'm finding that I'm forgetting some of the details that I want to journal, so I need to keep their school albums up-to-date.

I wanted to include a video clip from last nights news but I have spent entirely too much time trying to find it on their website. Scott was on the news last night talking about the Youth Waterfowl Hunting Clinic they have going on tomorrow at Ducks Unlimited. Of course Gage and Emma are registered and a parent has to be with them, and since Scott will be working the decoy station, I will have to also go to be with the kids. So, that's what I'll be doing tomorrow, learning about hunting. Sounds like a great time huh? I'll tell you one thing, it's 100% better than baking in a body bag out in the middle of a wheat field!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I saw that superstar Scott on the noon news! Kya sure got excited and told me he was a handsome prince! I guess he must have a secret admirer! Ha! You better get jealous, Stacy! Have fun tomorrow! We'll bring you back some corn!