Sunday, May 4, 2008

It's over!

Thank goodness the day is over! The kids literally drove me to drink today and it tasted very good! HA HA! Actually, I'm not joking though. I am glad the weekend is over and am ready for Monday morning to start over a new week. (I don't want Sunday to be the start of this week, because if it is, we had a pretty bad start!)

We started out pretty good! We made it to the early church service on time (a little early even!) had a nice time there, picked up a few things at the store on our way home for lunch, then had a picnic lunch outside on the new floor of the kids' playset. I guess it's after that when things started going downhill. My first problem (which has been going on for a few days now) is that Emma has found her summer clothes. She is determined to wear them, insisting that it is not cold outside. I thought it would be a good idea to play some catch with the baseball outside with Gage, and after it was evident that Brie was more excited about playing than Gage, we moved to the front yard. Emma had her glove and wanted to play some catch too. It wasn't long and she lost interest. Next thing I know she comes outside in her ballet outfit wanting to be a cheerleader. I told her there were no cheerleaders in baseball, but that if she wanted to cheer, that was fine. Then, not 15 minutes later, she comes outside in her bikini begging me to fill up the swimming pool with water. I tried telling her it was too cold to be filling up the swimming pool and that it's not even summer yet. We argued about this for several minutes, when I finally told her that if she could go over and stand in Dave's sprinklers for 10 minutes and not be cold, I would fill the pool up for her. Our neighbor, Dave, was getting his sprinkler system turned on today and was testing all of them to make sure they were working. She walked over on the sidewalk and was being sprayed by a fine mist that the wind was blowing her direction. She told me she wasn't cold at all, as she's standing there with her arms folded over her chest. I told her to get right in front of the sprinkler. Dave tried helping me out by pointing to her where I thought she needed to be. With just the little water she was getting sprayed with, her body was covered in goosebumps and her skin was turning purple while she held her arms across her chest trying her hardest not to shiver, then telling me, "See, it's not too cold!" WHATEVER EMMA! I believe she finally got cold enough that she went inside to put some different clothes on, which was a tank top/jumper outfit. Tomorrow when she's at school, I'm hiding all of her summer clothes and hopefully that will put a stop to this nonsense! UGH!

Later in the afternoon my friend, Kara, came over to go get some shrimp with me from the "shrimp man" who comes up from Galveston, Texas every few weeks during the shrimping season. There was a long line already when we arrived, about 10 minutes before they were supposed to start selling. We waited quite awhile, and since Scott has been gone all weekend, I had to take the kids. Standing in long, slow-moving lines with kids, isn't my idea of fun! Thankfully Kara has two of her own, who apparently like fighting just as much as Gage and Emma, so it didn't bother her too much. I finally made them go sit in the car and wait. It was much more peaceful then.

We had shrimp for supper and although it wasn't as good as when Scott grills it, it wasn't too bad. Emma ate more than Gage and I combined, I think? With all the carrying on before supper was actually ready, I decided it was time to pop one open, and I did, and it tasted really good. I believe that helped to take the edge off which helped us to make it through the rest of the evening with everyone still intact, so that is a good thing.

I'm praying for a better day tomorrow!

1 comment:

Kara said...

LOL! Why do kids have to be so independant and stubborn sometimes? And we still love them to bits! That is a good reason for me to keep the summer clothes hidden for a while! They were fine in line - it always seems worse to the mom than anyone else, you know! I didn't even think of it, but you guys should have come over here to eat our grilled shrimp (off of the GAS grill!) Ha!

We hope that you have a very Happy Anniversary Stacy and Scott! We still will watch the kids some evening so you can go out on the town!