Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Recipe

This past weekend Scott spent some time online looking for some different recipes to try out. He made a Goulash on Saturday that smelled really bad. Thankfully it tasted better than it smelled. On Sunday he made short ribs in the crockpot and they were very tasty. On Monday evenings the kids have gymnastics from 5-6p, so Scott usually comes home and makes supper since we aren't home until a little later. Last night he made a Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that was REALLY good! It was so good, I want to share it with you.


Chicken Tortilla Soup I


Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
1 cup white hominy
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
sliced avocado
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
chopped green onions


Directions:
1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
2. Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese and chopped green onion.


It really is very delicious. I would never have even printed this recipe off because there are too many ingredients for me to even look at it. I like quick and easy. Scott said this was quick and easy, and it must have been because he had supper waiting on the table for us when we got home just shortly after 6p. The most difficult part is actually getting all of the things at the grocery store without forgetting something!


I ran a couple of errands today and got some things I needed to get ready for Emma's Valentine's Day party at school and her birthday party this weekend. I found this CUTE idea for making candy airplanes for Valentine's, so I had to buy the items to do that. I'm a sucker for a cute idea. We have candy airplanes coming out of our ears. The kids loved seeing them all over the kitchen table when they got home from school. I guess they are just as much fun to play with as they will be to eat! They are made out of a pkg of smarties, 2 peppermint lifesavers a pack of gum and a rubberband. Very cute! I've attempted twice to put the picture on here and there seem to be some issues with loading a picture tonight, so I'll have to post the picture another time.

This evening I went to the school to help set up and clean up the meal provided to the teachers by the PTO and Northridge families since they have to stay late for parent-teacher conferences. I had the kids in bed when I left just shortly after 7p and Emma was asleep when I got home shortly after 8. Scott said she came downstairs to the basement where he was once or twice, but fell asleep fairly easily tonight. I broke out my Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book that was once used like a Bible. I had forgotten about it and was reminded of it when my sister, Jari Jo commented on yesterday's post. Thanks Jari, and I will be reading up on what I can do to help her out and we will be going to the doctor sometime this month for her 6 year old well-check, so I will be sure to raise that question with her. The funny part is that when Emma was around 6 months old, we got that book and read it and did everything it said and it worked like a miracle. When we told our pediatrician about it, she was fascinated by it and has told every parent that has come in since then about this book and what we did and how well it worked. I actually bought the book to give to our pediatrician this past year when she had her first baby! Anyway, she'll probably be surprised that we are having sleep issues. Maybe I can refresh my brain and get it squared away before we go in for the appointment I haven't yet made! :-)

No comments: