Thursday, April 17, 2008

Day 10

I'm done numbering Emma's postoperative days. She's doing a lot better, although still not eating normally and whiney on occasion. This morning when my alarm went off I jumped up and hit the snooze button and fell back to sleep when Emma lets out a blood-curdling scream, "MOMMY, MOMMY" (She doesn't call me Mommy very often, but apparently she does when she's panicked!) I sat straight up in bed and had visions of blood spurting from her mouth as she comes into the bedroom and I'm like, "What? What? Emma, what's wrong?" "MOMMY, THERE'S A SPIDER CRAWLING DOWN THE WALL COMING AT ME TOWARDS THE COUCH!" You've got to be kidding me? Crap, she scared me to death over a stupid spider! Emma is deathly afraid of all insects. She hopped up in the bed and quickly got under the covers and was seriously traumatized by this spider. I made Scott get up and go kill it. As we are laying there in the bed Emma says, "Silas would have just picked it up and held it." That is true. Silas has no fear of any insects, even cockroaches. I guess the fear of spiders Emma has is hereditary? I remember back in Jr. High when my science teacher (who happens to be my father-in-law) told a story of his fear of spiders and how he takes a blow torch to them when he sees them in his shop. :-) So, she comes by it naturally. What a way to wake up!

We had a pretty quiet day. We went to the neighbors' house after school and Gage and Emma played in the backyard with their friends Hallie and Erik. Emma loves playing in the dirt, and I knew she must be feeling better as she was sitting in the garden playing in the dirt in her skirt and tights. Deathly afraid of insects, but loves the dirt. She wore out a little quicker than usual and was "starving to death" so we went home so I could save her life. She had troubles eating supper tonight as she said it hurt too much. She doesn't want any more pain medicine and I'm not going to make her take it.

No school tomorrow. Yippee! Apparently this is a comp day for the teachers for the parent-teacher conferences the past couple of weeks. We don't have too many plans. Gage said he wants to read books all day. He's currently obsessed with The Magic Tree House books. It's a pretty good obsession to have, so I just let him be. We have a Cub Scout "Go See It" den meeting tomorrow evening and we're going to the KXMB news station to watch them do the 6 o'clock news. I've never seen one of these live and in person, so I plan to go and take Emma as well. It should be quite interesting.

No comments: