Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day 8 - Do we see an end in sight?

The answer to that question is YES!!! Yesterday afternoon/evening around 4:00 was Emma's last dose of pain medicine, but only because she hasn't seemed to really need it, which is a good thing! She didn't really eat much lunch or supper yesterday because she said it hurt too much, and soon after supper she fell asleep on the couch. She sort of woke up around 8:30 and was whimpering and acting like she was having some pain, so I got some medicine ready, only to have her refuse. I attempted a few times, and then she fell back asleep, so I figured I would wait until I went to bed to give it to her, unless she needed it sooner. Come bedtime, she was still sleeping peacefully on the couch, so I decided I would just let her sleep and figured I would pay for that later. I even left her on the couch, so as not to disturb her. This morning Gage came in to my room a few minutes before my alarm went off wanting me to finish reading the Magic Tree House book we started last night and I was surprised that I hadn't heard a thing out of Emma! When I went downstairs to let Brie out, I noticed she was no longer on the couch. I found her fast asleep in her bed!!! I couldn't believe it! She woke up and said she was feeling okay! After getting Gage to school, I decided we needed to take a little trip to Barnes and Noble to get the next book in Gage's Magic Tree House series, and figured a book would make a good surprise for Emma's 10,000 stars she's accumulated in this whole medicine-taking fiasco. When we got there I offered her a Strawberries 'n Creme from the Starbucks inside the store which she happily accepted. She also wanted a cookie, and I figured that was a good sign. We went back to get the books and discovered that they were going to have story time in a few minutes, so we stayed to listen to a few stories before we headed back home. It was a nice little outing. Emma seems to be doing MUCH better today, although she is still having enough discomfort that she's not too interested in eating much for lunch. Now, our next problem..............with all of the pain medication, which slows down motility in the digestive tract, and not enough water, she's having some troubles with constipation! UGH! I am a nurse, and I know all about that, why I didn't think of it is beyond me. So, needless to say, there have been a few tears shed in the bathroom today and hopefully we can get that problem fixed soon! As my Grandma Larsen always used to say, "If it's not one thing, it's another!" :-) So true.

The weather is beautiful! I went outside to make Brie run around the yard a few times to shake all of the dead grass she had all over her from rolling in the yard, and discovered it was almost hot??? outside! My little weather bug on the computer says it is 82 degrees out!! My friend Kara called and we scheduled a play date at a park just up the street a ways after school lets out. Emma is very excited about it (which was a great tool to bribe her into taking her antibiotic today). I'm sure she won't last too long, but the fresh air will do us both some good! I'll have to be sure to grab Gage's bat and ball for him to mess around with at the park and let him burn some of his obsession he's had lately with playing baseball. He's been throwing a tennis ball up in the air and hitting it with the baseball bat (by himself!) in the backyard and I know we're going to end up needing to replace some broken glass in the windows before the summer is up! Hopefully they will be our own windows, and not the neighbors!!!!!!!! I am amazed at how hard he's starting to hit the ball! And also amazed with the fact that he can throw the ball up and hit it himself! That's a hard skill to master! Maybe we have the next Babe Ruth in training?

No comments: