Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What a trooper!

Emma getting ready to be admitted to the surgical center to get her tonsils and adenoids removed (oh, and a big chunk of wax removed from her ear!)

Emma is less than thrilled about donning a hospital gown and she didn't care in the least that it had Ronald McDonald and all of his friends on it! It took awhile to talk her into putting it on and even then we had to force it onto her.

Emma getting her blood pressure taken. Again, less than thrilled!

Emma giving Gage's raccoon, Whiskers, some extra TLC before she heads to the operating room. It's quite obvious by this picture that she's a little nervous!

Mom had to get outfitted to go into the operating room with Emma. They had me carry her in and hold her while she went to sleep. They turned the gas on through the mask before I had it in place over her mouth and nose and I got a nice big whiff of it. I asked them if I could get a bottle of that to take home! :-)

Dad and Emma before she heads into the operating room.

Okay, this is taking much longer than I thought! Hurry up already! Thank goodness for the television with cable and Nick Jr.!

Emma after surgery. She has her little hand wrapped up to keep her IV in place and they are blowing oxygen through the tube to keep her oxygen saturation up. She was sleeping so peacefully!

As soon as we got Emma awake, she immediately got up and wanted me to hold her. They got me a rocking chair to sit with her and then, more importantly, she requested a popsicle!

Emma made it through the surgery safe and sound and even the cats were glad to have her back home!
I am AMAZED at how well Emma did today with her surgery! I couldn't have asked for a better experience. She went to sleep in the operating room in my arms at 9 a.m. and they called us back to the consultation room to meet with the doctor at 9:30! She was sleeping so peacefully when we got to her room. She did whimper slightly after we got her awake and she said her neck hurt. 15 minutes after the nurse gave her some pain medicine through her IV, she was sitting straight up in my lap and devoured her first popsicle. She was eating ice chips without any problems and drinking water as well. They were commenting on how well she was doing and that she had more intake in the first hour than a lot of kids do in the required 2 hours of stay post surgery. If the 2 hours weren't required, I think they would have let us go home then! We were at home by 12:15 p.m.!!! Emma was soooooo excited when we drove up into the driveway and there was a Get Well Soon balloon tied to the front door that my friend, Kara and her girls left for her. As soon as we got in the house and I got Emma situated on the couch and turned the television on, she said, "What's for lunch? When Mr. Rogers comes on I know it's lunchtime!" She ate a whole bowl of macaroni and cheese and a container of yogurt smoothie!! She then went and napped on the couch. Kara and her girls stopped by around 3:oo this afternoon with all kinds of special goodies for both Mom and Emma! Emma was asleep when they came, looking like "Snow White" resting so peacefully. Jadyn brought Emma her first Strawberries n' Creme Frappucino from Starbucks (which was a huge hit!), Kara brought me a Starbucks Caramel Frappucino (another HUGE hit!), and little Kya had a container of chocolate ice cream for Emma when she woke up. That was soooo nice and thoughtful. We are so lucky to have such wonderful friends. Thanks for all the prayers and calls!
At supper time Emma ate another bowl of macaroni and cheese and enjoyed some more of her Strawberries 'n Creme drink. Besides the 2 bowls of mac n' cheese and Starbucks drink, she had 3 popsicles and some water for the day. She is less than thrilled with the medication she has to take. She's on a liquid antibiotic (the best tasting one there is according to Dr. Spotts), and some liquid Tylenol with Codeine for pain. She hates the Tylenol with a passion. She also has some Phenergan (anti-nausea medication) and a numbing sucker to use when needed. We really had a pretty good day and I need to get geared up for tomorrow. They said day 2 is worse than day 1!
Gage went to my friend Sherry's house after school and stayed until after supper. Scott went to get him and he was already in a meltdown when he walked through the front door. Apparently Scott mentioned to him that Emma got a new Webkinz for being so brave. Gage was very unhappy about not getting one himself, even though Scott got him the new DVD out today, Water Horse. He hollers, "Emma is so lucky to get her tonsils out!" He was completely exhausted after his late night with Cub Scouts last night, then at school all day and playing with friends the remainder of the day until he came home after supper. I hope his Day 2 post surgery is better than Day 1! YIKES!
I am so proud of Emma and how well she has done today. After seeing her today, I really think she's going to recover fairly quickly. Or at least that's what I'm praying for!


Plotter said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

GE is me said...

Stacy, hope today is going well. Glad Emma's surgery went so well. The picture of her w/Gage's raccoon is so cute, even though you say she is nervous in the pic. I still have my tonsils, but I remember the 1st time I ever went in for surgery. I was 20 & I FLIPPED OUT! so kudos to her for being so brave.
God Bless, -Gail

jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

Aneetha said...


What a trooper she really is- glad the surgery went of well and poor little Emma coping well with its after effects. Give her a huge hug from me and tell her HOW proud I am of her for being so brave.

Love to all- and I am keeping Emma in my prayers for a quick and happy recovery.