Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Day 9

This morning I wasn't sure whether or not I should send Emma to school. She had a rough evening yesterday and I didn't know if she was ready to go back today. I asked her what she wanted to do and she said, "Go to school!" I'm sure she's so tired of spending so much time with me that she's ready to get away for a few hours!

This morning I was trying to remember everything I needed to do. I wanted to take something for Emma for snack time at school because I didn't know if she would be able to eat what they served. I also had an appointment at Biolife after dropping her off, and I wanted to make sure the teachers could get ahold of me if they needed me to come and get her. I wrote down my cell phone number, home number, Scott's work number, his cell number and his secretary's number just in case they couldn't get ahold of him. I was so proud of myself for being so prepared. We even left the house a little earlier than normal because I wanted to have time to give all of the instructions to the teachers before I hurried off for my appointment.

On the way to school, I had a sudden moment of panic as I realized I left the list of phone numbers at home. I knew all of them by heart, except my cell phone. I have never called it, so I don't know the number. I didn't know if there was a way to find it on the phone or not, and I wouldn't have been able to figure it out if there was! As my mind raced trying to decide if I should go back home to get it. If I did, then I would risk being a little late and forgetting all of the things I needed to tell the teacher before I had to run off for my appointment. Then, I had a brilliant idea! I called Emily to see if she could tell me my cell phone number. She didn't answer. Then I called Scott's office. No answer. I called my sister's work number. No answer at her extension. I called her cell phone. No answer. I need to tell you that I only had about 12 minutes left on my phone when I started calling, and apparently it removes minutes even if no one answers!? So, I'm now down to about 9 minutes left on my phone. I'm trying to remember the few people I gave my cell number to. I saw Kara walking into the YMCA as we drove into the parking lot, but I figured she probably didn't have her phone on her where she had it stored, and since I just gave her the number the other day, I knew she wouldn't have it memorized. There aren't many more people that have my number. I took Emma into the school and got her settled and then rattled off all of the things I wanted her teachers to know.............please don't send her to gym class......................I don't want her to attend swimming's a Jello Smoothie for snack in case she can't eat what is provided (donuts were brought in special by a little girl's mom in celebration of her birthday)......................I'm not sure if she will make it the entire 3 hours, so can I write some phone numbers down for you? The teacher gave me a sheet of paper and I wrote down all of the numbers, then told her I didn't know my cell number. I told her I had an appointment and that I wouldn't be at home if they needed to get in touch with me. Then it occurred to me that I thought I had given my cell number to my Mom, and I knew my Dad should be around to answer the phone since it was fairly early in the morning, and he's newly retired. I called and Dad answered. I asked him if Mom had the number written down on the bulletin board. He then figured out it was me. Ooops, sorry Dad! I should identify myself since there are 5 of us! Then, I started to hear a beeping in my ear warning me that I am about to run out of minutes. Dad couldn't find the number anywhere so I quickly told him I would try and find it on the phone and hung up. Now I'm down to about 6 minutes. I decided if I did find someone who could tell me the number, I wouldn't have any minutes left for them to call me if they needed to anyway! UGH! The teacher said, "Well, can't we call you at Biolife if we need to?" I reply "Oh, yeah, I never thought of that!" I told them to call Scott if they needed to, and that he would be in meetings and they may need to get his secretary to get him on the phone. Whew! What a morning! I went along my merry way to Biolife. For those of you who don't know, Biolife is a place you can go to sell your plasma which they to use to process into life-saving plasma-based therapies. (I'm working on a vacation fund!) Anyway, I get there on time. They have a finger scanner that you sign in with. They have a particular finger scanned for your fingerprint to identify you. When I put my finger on it, the little computerized screen said it was unrecognized and to ask for assistance. I tried again, same thing. I tried several more times with the same thing. I looked around to see if any of the employees noticed I was having troubles signing in. There was a little container of stuff there, which I saw some other lady using once, which I assumed was to clean your finger of any smudges, etc. I used it and still had no luck. One of the ladies told me to come around to another scanner and try it. I did, and still, it would not recognize me. I knew it was my right middle finger that I was supposed to scan. I said, as I looked at the lady, I don't know what's wrong? I'm scanning my right middle finger as I hold up my hands and indicating which finger I was using. She said, "You're supposed to use your right hand." "I held up my hand and said, "Well, I am!?" She said, "That is your left hand, you are supposed to scan your right middle finger." Boy did I feel stupid!! I held up my magazine and told her to please disregard any of that and pretend it didn't happen! Apparently I was having a blonde moment! I thought you all might get a much needed smile/laugh out of that, and thought I should share.

Emma made it through the entire 3 hours and ate 3/4 of her donut (the other 1/4 she ate in the car as soon as I got her buckled up! She didn't need the Jello Smoothie afterall! She said it did hurt a little, but a donut apparently is worth the pain!? She's doing pretty well. I couldn't get her to eat any lunch, which I'm sure had more to do with the donut than anything else? I believe we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We can only go up from here (I hope!).

Before I sign off, I wanted to share the link to a blog that my friend Kara told me about. Please have a box of Kleenex with you as you read. After reading her first entry, I had to go back to the beginning and I have read the entire blog and have cried many tears. You will also find in her blog a link to the photographer's web-page and blog. This story has changed many, many lives. It has certainly impacted mine. I hope you can take some time to learn more about this amazing family, and if I ever get to Nashville, I am definitely looking up this photographer. It is amazing what he can do with a camera! I wish I had been blessed with such talent!

1 comment:

Jody and Emily Jennings said...

Oh, I'm so SORRY! But, I'm glad she made it through school!