Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Near death

Gage had a near-death experience today. He had a splinter. If you didn't know any better, you would have thought the world was coming to an end. This morning before we left for school, Gage ran his hand across his Harry Potter wand that he made and got a splinter. He commented on it before we left for school and I told him I could get it out and grabbed for the fingernail clippers and tweezers. He said "NO WAY" so I just left it alone not wanting to get him all upset before school. After school on our walk home, I asked him if he got his splinter out, and he said no. Once we got home I talked him into letting me try to get it out. He was almost as bad as Emma was getting her shots a couple months ago, and if you read that post, you would understand my frustration! I almost had it out and he decided he had had enough. "IT HURTS!" he says. I tried explaining to him that it was going to hurt until we got it out. Our neighbor kids came over to play and Gage was so preoccupied with this splinter that he couldn't even settle down enough to play. He started getting very angry and was getting me angry and I finally had to send the neighbors home. They asked if Emma could go too, so she went to play over there. I finally had had enough and made him go to his room. Later, when Scott got home, the same thing happened. FINALLY, after several hours of me trying to remove the splinter, and an hour or so of Scott attempting, he got it out. Gage was soooo happy about that. Then Scott took us all out for ice cream at DQ, so the near-death experience was over. UGH! It totally irritates me when I can't rationalize with him and he gets so paranoid and angry. He has a cousin that does the same thing, and I think it's in their genes? I'm glad it's over!

The weather was pretty nice today and we had Emily and the kids over for lunch. The days are quickly flying by and I'm not looking forward to their departure next week. I have been in denial and now I'm going to have to start accepting the fact that they are moving. Gage asked tonight on our way home from getting ice cream. Why do all of our friends move? First Jessica (the kids still remember you and Leah, Jessica!!) moves, then Ben and now Silas. Scott had to point out to him that we have MANY MORE friends that haven't moved, and we need to be thankful for that. It's still hard losing people you care about.

No comments: