Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Girl Scout Field Trip

Why is it that my kids are always the worst behaved at functions that we are in charge of i.e. Gage/Baseball; Gage/Cub Scouts; Emma/Girl Scouts. I think maybe this is a sign that we need to stop volunteering to be leaders or coaches? It is SO FRUSTRATING! Today I picked Emma and IsaBelle up from school because we had a Girl Scout meeting. We met up with Gage in the library at Northridge. As soon as I walked in, he was asking me to call his friend's Mom to see if he could go over to her house instead of go to the meeting. I told him we couldn't do that because we needed to plan for something like that in advance. That was NOT what he wanted to hear. He threw quite a fit and showed my friends in the library, Juanita and Jan, just how he can be when he doesn't get his way. I threatened him that if he didn't straighten up and behave on this field trip we were about to go on, then he would not get to play with any friends the remainder of the school year. He was on quite a pity pot and I wasn't quite sure how it was going to go. We were going to the Ruth Meier's Hospitality House to donate Girl Scout cookies and get a tour. After Juanita had a little talk with him, he seemed to take what she said to heart and started to behave a little better. (Thanks again Juanita!) We discussed in great detail with the girls AND Gage what kind of behavior we expected out of them. I seriously think all of that information goes in one ear and right out the other. Emma and Gage and one other girl were not listening when we got there and acting silly. I had to get on them a time or two. THEN, when we were in the food pantry room, Emma saw the macaroni and cheese boxes and picked one up and put it behind her back like she was going to steal it. NICE! I am praying she was just joking around with her brother, although that wasn't the behavior I was wanting either. AARGH! This happens quite a bit and I don't understand it. As I said, maybe we need to stop being leaders/coaches and let someone else do it? They would probably learn more and I know they would behave better. It's quite frustrating to say the least.

The weather was beautiful today! I was actually hot when we were driving to our field trip destination. Then, when we got there it had to be about 80 degrees inside! I don't know how they could stand it? Kara was suffering from a migraine and now that I think about it, that was probably terrible being in that hot building with a throbbing head! Sorry Kara! I hope you're feeling better!

We are supposed to be around 70 degrees tomorrow and most of the snow is melted. We still have a big pile in our yard because it doesn't see a whole lot of sun with our big pine tree out front. There is quite a bit of flooding going on around the state. Last night Interstate 94 was closed from Bismarck to Jamestown as there were 3 places where water was running over the interstate. They showed some clips on the news and it was quite amazing! Scott is just thrilled to death with all of this water because it's GOOD FOR THE DUCKS! :-)

No comments: