Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Summer break - Day 1

Day 1 of summer break went okay. Not great, but not a disaster either. I actually didn't get out of my pajamas until late afternoon and that was only because I knew I was going to have to take either Gage or Emma to baseball practice. :-)

The kids were getting along fairly well for the most part today. There were a couple of spats, but it would be completely abnormal not to have at least 2 fights. They let me sleep in until 9 this morning! They were watching a movie so nicely together I didn't want to get up and mess it up, but I decided I best get my butt out of bed. This is when I get myself into trouble, when I sleep in. When I do that, typically I can't go to bed at night. That's when the vicious cycle starts and I get my sleep/wake pattern so messed up.

I started doing a little organizing this past weekend and did a little more today. This past weekend my project was the linen closet in the upstairs hallway. I thew tons of stuff away. I decided there was no reason to continue holding on to things like diaper rash cream, baby lotion, etc. LOL! I don't know why I didn't throw that stuff the last time I attempted to clean those cupboards out? Today I started in the basement. My main goal is to get rid of toys that the kids don't play with. That's about everything in the basement. I suggested maybe having a garage sale and the kids were acting like they didn't want to part with things. Then when they asked me if they could have the money for the things they sold, and I said yes, they were wanting to get rid of TONS of stuff! We organized a bunch of stuff and is ready to be hauled out. I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested a garage sale. I hate doing a garage sale. I'd rather go to them than have one. I had pretty much convinced myself that we weren't going to have one afterall, then Scott told me tonight Emma was VERY EXCITED about the garage sale we are going to have. UGH! Now I'm thinking that this might be a good thing for them to do, and I would make them be in charge of everything and figuring out how to count money, make change, etc. I don't know what I'm going to do now, but all I know is I want to get these things out of the basement before they tear back into them and mess it all back up. De-clutter. That's my summer goal.

Not sure what we're going to do tomorrow. I thought maybe we might ride our bikes to the library or something? We haven't been on our bikes much yet this spring. We haven't had the best weather for it I guess? Lots of snow, and then rain, makes for messy bike rides. I also need to establish a routine for reading, flash cards, etc. We need to work on some of that stuff throughout the summer so they haven't forgotten all they have learned when school starts up again!

No comments: