Saturday, May 16, 2009

Trying to teach a lesson

This morning when the alarm went off I got up and went downstairs to Emma cleaning off the table. It must be piled too high if it's starting to bother my 6 year old! :-) She also picked Gage's room up and made his bed................now that I think about it, I should have taken advantage of that little cleaning bug she had going on.

Emma's last soccer game of the season was today. Actually the last 3 games of the season. Today was the soccer jamboree. It was supposed to get down to 26 degrees last night, so needless to say, it was still quite chilly this morning. Emma got dressed in her soccer gear and as we were getting ready to head out the door, I told her she actually should put a long sleeved shirt under her uniform shirt. She said she didn't want to. I told her she needed to get a coat on then. She said she didn't want to. I wasn't in the mood to fight with her this morning and decided that maybe I should just let her learn her lesson. It is ALWAYS colder at the soccer field than anywhere else in Bismarck. Today was no different. Emma did grab a blanket that was in the back of the car, but I told her that wouldn't do her alot of good when she was out playing.

The wind was blowing and it was quite chilly. Emma is out on the soccer field in shorts and a short-sleeved t-shirt. Coach Theel comes up to her and says, "Emma, aren't you cold without a coat on?" I didn't hear Emma's response. I'm thinking to myself that I'm sure everyone must think she has a terrible mother. A little while later he comes up to Emma again and asks her if she has a coat to wear. I decided I better go tell him what the deal was. I walked over to him and said, "I'm quite sure that I'm up for Mother-of-the-Year award because Emma doesn't have her coat!" I explained to him that I thought maybe this would be a good day to learn a little lesson because I seem to ALWAYS have troubles with Emma and what she's wearing. I typically bail her out because I don't want her to be cold. I decided there was no bailing her out today and that she needed to figure out that I usually know what's best. He understood and said that he has the same problems with his daughter.

Tonight Scott asked Emma if she was cold at the soccer game as a smirk appeared on her face, a gray hair popped through at the very same time.

No comments: