Saturday, September 15, 2007

Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde

Uffda! I am glad this day is over! It was a long day. Many things happened, but I am going to skip through most of it and start at the end of the day. We had a church function tonight that we attended. It consisted of a potluck/hot dog roast at Papa's Pumpkin Patch. The weather was beautiful. We waited at home for Scott to get back from hunting, so we could all ride together. While we waited, I got the kids ready. I was sure to put them in long sleeves and long pants so the hay maze wouldn't cause problems. I put them both in Halloween orange shirts, one reason to be festive, but the primary reason was so I could easily spot them afar. Well, that wasn't too smart, since we were going to a PUMPKIN patch were there are a gazillion ORANGE pumpkins! They were pretty good though, so it wasn't that big of deal. We stood around and talked with friends for awhile before leaving. For some reason, they thought it was funny to put the biggest pumpkins around in the wagon that we had. Scott kept removing them. Gage kept trying to return them to the wagon. Stupidly, we went with $5, which I thought would cover any hayrides the kids might go on. Emma was loading up the wagon with several small pumpkins because they were all the perfect ones. I don't know what happened, but I was waiting at the exit for Scott and the kids, and Scott came up with the wagon, Emma and many small pumpkins and said Gage was having a meltdown. While Scott was trying to eliminate all of Emma's pumpkins, I went to see what Gage's problem was. He was screaming and crying hysterically because he wanted a pumpkin. Well, he wanted the huge ones that kept finding their way into our wagon. I tell Gage we only have $5, so we can't get any big pumpkins this time. Our friend Steve offered to loan us some cash, but I told him that was okay, because we were going to be back at the pumpkin patch at least 2 more times with school field trips. They have metal rings to put around the pumpkin to determine the price. I sent Gage back to the pumpkins with the ring (which by the way was illegal, according to the pumpkin patch police). If one goes, then more go and by the time they know it, they are all missing. I understand the concept, but Gage was in the middle of a crisis and I thought maybe she would chill out about it. NOT! She had to go with us and then make sure we brought it back. The pumpkin Gage wanted was $11. I told him we could come back to get it later. (He thought I meant later, like after we got home, then come back later). Anyway, he was screaming and didn't want to get in the van because he wanted a pumpkin. We did buy a pumpkin for $5, and one of the male pumpkin policemen just gave Emma the little one she was carrying!! Anyway, I was trying to figure out how I could get the situation under control, and I noticed Steve was just behind us in his car, and I was going to go ask him if we could borrow the cash afterall to get Gage a pumpkin, but Scott says, "Oh yeah Stacy, just give him what he wants, like that is going to teach him anything!" I got in the car and as we were driving away, Gage was screaming at the top of his lungs. This continued the ENTIRE way home!
Gage: "I WANT A PUMPKIN! TURN AROUND AND GO BACK AND GET ME A PUMPKIN! YOU ARE A BAD DAD! I WANT A PUMPKIN!"
Emma had her fingers in her ears.
Gage yells: "EMMA THAT IS RUDE TO PLUG YOUR EARS!"
We get to the main road to head back into town and there are about 15 turkeys crossing the road, so we have to stop and wait for them to cross.
Gage: "JUST GO BACK, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THOSE DUMB TURKEYS! I WANT A PUMPKIN!"
Mom: "Gage, do you have money?"
Gage: "YES I HAVE MONEY" (as he throws his wallet up to the front)"I WANT A PUMPKIN!"
Mom: "Gage, you do not have enough money to buy that $11 pumpkin."
Gage: "YOU HAVE MONEY!"
Mom: "Gage, I do not have any money."
Gage: "I SAW YOU HAD TWO $20 BILLS THE OTHER DAY."
Mom: "Gage, I deposited those bills into my checking account so I could pay some other bill."
Gage: "WELL, I WANT A PUMPKIN! GO BACK AND GET ME A PUMPKIN!"
Mom: "Gage, that bill I probably paid was for birthday presents for you, so if you would like, I could take them back and get the money back and get you a pumpkin."
Gage: "Oh."
Dad: "Gage if you keep acting like this you aren't going to get any birthday presents!"
Gage: "I guess I can have that pumpkin in the back" (in the sweetest voice imaginable).
We get home and Gage is all smiles, Emma opens up the back door of the van, and they are deciding who gets which pumpkin, with absolutely no fighting at all.
Gage: "Mom, you don't have to take those presents back."
After giving the kids their baths I told Gage he should apologize to everyone in the car for all the screaming we had to endure the whole way home. Gage goes into the bedroom, where Dad is already changed into his pajamas and nearly asleep.
Gage: "I'm sorry for behaving so badly." He tells Emma the same thing.
Emma: "That's okay Gage."
That was the end of that. I should have mentioned the birthday presents a little sooner. The ride home would have been much more pleasant. I only have about 2 more weeks to use that threat, so I best take advantage of that before the opportunity passes!

I am praying for a better day tomorrow.

No comments: