Thursday, September 13, 2007

Dreamcatchers

Last night as I was just finishing up work in the basement (around 11p.m.) I heard Gage crying in his room. Scott had just gone up to bed, so he wasn't asleep and went to Gage's room. When I got to his room he was really crying, saying "I had a bad dream, a really bad dream!" After I asked him what it was about, he said a rocket hit the earth and exploded. WOW! That was a bad dream. He didn't want to go back to sleep because he was afraid he would dream it again. I was in his room for an hour laying with him. Every time I would attempt to get out of his bed, he would start to panic. I tried putting different thoughts in his head by asking him what we were going to do for his birthday this year (which isn't very far away so I best get it in gear!), and what did he want the most. We set up a line of "dream police" across the foot of his bed. We apparently read in a book about bad dreams and dream police. Anyway, we had several stuffed animals lined up across his bed, along with Grus, our cat, and they were going to police any bad dreams that would come his way. Gage also said he wanted to get a dreamcatcher, as the bad dreams get tangled in the web and the good dreams make it through the spaces. I am going to look for a dreamcatcher, or maybe we'll make one, but then how do I explain the bad dreams then? I went to bed at midnight expecting him to be right behind me and getting into my bed as well. I was quite surprised this morning to find that he didn't come to our bed in the night. After I woke him up, he was excited to tell me that the "dream police" worked, and that he dreamed that he and Dad went hunting in some video game, and he shot a big-horned sheep with his BB gun and killed it. He said he hit it straight in the heart. GEEZ! I'm not sure I want him dreaming that stuff either? Although, Scott thought it was pretty cool.

Scott was going to go to school today to have a special lunch with Gage. When we got to school, the kids and I went to the office to see what we had to do so Scott could do that. She said just let his teacher know so she can put his name on the lunch list, and we could either pay for it or put it on Gage's lunch account. On the way to his classroom, he told me he didn't want to do that today. That surprised me!? Not sure why, but I'll have to start playing 20 questions with him after school. Not sure if he thinks he might be "embarrassed" to have his Dad there, or what? I'm sure when you're a "big kid", those kinds of things come into play. (By the way, it was a COLD walk to school today with the wind blowing like crazy. My little weatherbug says it's 47 degrees. However, with the wind chill, it felt much colder than that!)

No comments: