Friday, September 21, 2007

TGIF!!!!

Today is Friday, thank goodness! Scott and Gage are going to be gone the whole weekend. It is the duck opener this weekend. Emma is quite upset that she doesn't get to go, but Scott promised her she could go next year! So, there will be a party about this time next year! HA HA!
I took Emma to school this morning. She was excited because they are having a Bear Box parade. Get the "B" theme? When we walked into her classroom this morning, her teacher Kathy says, "Oh, I want to tell you something before you leave!" So, Emma washed her hands and we got her backpack and jacket hung up in her cubby and she went off to play. I went up to Kathy, half scared of what she was going to tell me. Well, they are working on the alphabet. Last week was the letter "A". This week the letter "B". Which is why they are having the Bear Box parade today through the Y. Kathy said that sometimes she needs to help get the kids' minds going on different words, so she tries giving out hints. One was, "It flies in the air, and says tweet tweet", they all yell bird. Yes! Way to go! Then, her next hint was, "We all have one. On it is our nose, ears, eyes"........................I'm thinking oh no, boobs, butt. Emma shoots her hands straight up in the air saying, Oh, oh, I know! I know! Kathy calls on her and Emma shouts out "testicles!" Kathy said it took all she had not to burst out laughing, but instead she says, "No, Emma, nice try but that starts with the letter T". Oh my. I'm not positive why she said that, but I have a pretty good idea? I wanted to tell the story on the day of the Pumpkin patch post, but that one got to be way too long to fit in another story. So, here goes.....................While we were waiting for Scott to get home last Saturday from hunting, I was surfing the 4 television channels we have for something to watch. Nothing I wanted to watch was on, but I decided baseball was the best choice. As I was watching the game, Emma was sitting with me. The batter got hit in the wrist with the pitch and he hit the ground. Got his wrist nice and good. Emma was asking me about it. "Why did he get hit?" etc, etc. Anyway, she was enthralled by it enough that she was hollering out the door for Gage to come in and watch. When Gage came in, it was pretty much over. He says, "Mom, you remember when I was in baseball and...........................well, what I THOUGHT Gage was going to say was that one of his teammates got drilled in the thigh with a hard line drive. Instead he says, "Mom, you remember when I was in baseball and when Jody Jennings got hit in the nuts with the ball?" My eyes opened wide and my mouth drops open as I'm trying to decide if I just heard him correctly.
Mom: "Uh, Gage, where did you hear that word?"
Gage: "What? Nuts?"
Mom: "Yes, nuts! Where did you learn that?"
Gage: "I don't know?"
Mom: "Gage, we don't say nuts! That is a bad word. A better word to use would be testicles. That's the proper word. People say nuts, but that is a slang term for testicles, like balls is a slang word for testicles!"
So, you see, Emma was totally involved in "listening" to that conversation. I'm pretty sure, she was thinking balls, when Kathy was asking for "BODY", but she didn't want to use the "bad, slang word", so she yells out "TESTICLES!" Our friends at the pumpkin patch, that kept putting the big pumpkins in the wagon.........remember them? Well, I had told them this story and they were laughing at me, telling me that was going to come back and get me, as they were saying Gage was going to get teased one day when he asked his friends about their "testicle cup" when he was playing baseball. Or that they would say something like, you're Dad must be a scientist! HA HA! It came back to bite me a little sooner than expected, and with the wrong child. I wonder how many kids in her class even knew what "testicles" are???

No comments: