Sunday, October 12, 2008

CROP Walk for Hunger

The CROP Walk for Hunger was held today. It was cold and rainy but it made the walk that much more meaningful. We walked 4 miles and I tried to think about how that would feel, to have to walk that distance every day to obtain food and water for my family, rain or shine. As a mother, I would certainly do that if that's what I had to do to feed my family; however, I am thankful that I don't have to.

We had a decent group of walkers who decided to "tough it out" with the weather. There were times when it would have been very helpful to have some windshield wipers on my glasses, but I seemed to survive. It was mostly a drizzle, not a full blown rain like we have been having for the past couple of days. It most certainly could have been worse than it was! We could have had the 12 inches of snow several places in western North Dakota got! There were 11 of us walking from our church. The old people outnumbered the youngs ones (I consider myself one of the "old" ones in the group!), but it was a nice mix. Scott tried to bail out on the walk this morning by claiming that he wouldn't even hunt in weather like this! Yeah, WHATEVER!! He did change his mind after he realized I was walking, no matter what. Brie even joined us on the walk. There were many comments about how well behaved she was. If they only knew the "real" Brie. LOL! Actually, she was well-mannered today and is alot better than she used to be on a day to day basis, so I can't complain too much.


I was sure to have my camera with me to get a group shot of our CROP Walkers!


Here we go, walking down the path at the Capitol. The news cameras were off to the side filming the beginning of the walk. I saw us on the news.
Thankfully Gage and Emma did not have to participate in the walk. It would have been a miserable outing had they joined us, especially with the cold, wet weather. They went to my friend Shannon's daughter, Grace's, 3rd birthday party. I was glad they had an activity to go to while we walked.
After the walk we went to Shannon's to get Gage and Emma and stayed for a short while to visit. Grace sure is growing up fast! She is convinced that she is a princess! The Cinderella crown and gloves we found at Target for her seemed to be a big hit! Happy Birthday Gracie!
Scott is leaving for his week-long trip (for work) to Saskatchewan tomorrow. He is also hunting while he is there. Big surprise, I know! A few days ago he went to the trouble of assembling a "survival kit" for me. He asked me why I haven't blogged about it, so I figured I better give him his little pat on the back! :-) He had it all laid out on the dresser in our bedroom for me. He bought me a Starbucks gift card for some stress relief after the kids are dropped off at school, a McDonald's gift card for the days that I need something for lunch, 2 Papa Murphy's gift certificates for us to have a couple "easy suppers" and 4 cans of beer that already have Clemato juice added, so I can unwind at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure I won't be drinking the beer, but I am sure we'll be using the other things! That was quite thoughtful of him. I think he has been feeling guilty about this long trip, especially since there is some "fun" included in the so-called "work".
I will be spending my week getting ready for my weekend of R&R, scrapbooking in Medora! Hopefully I can get myself organized and can get my power layout done so I can get lots of pages completed this weekend! My friends Amy & Tonya are going as well, so it will be a good time. I think we're going to leave Friday morning right after dropping the kids off at school. I am going to have to work out some babysitting for Friday after school because Scott doesn't think he'll be home until around 6pm or so. It wouldn't be that big of a problem, except that the kids have their last swimming lessons for the first fall session that day, and Gage has already missed 2 lessons and I hate for him to miss 3. Not only is it a waste of money, but he can't pass if he misses too many lessons. He may already be unable to pass having missed 2, but I am hoping to be able to work something out with a babysitter. We'll see what I can come up with. Unfortunately the girls I have aren't at driving age yet, so that poses a bit of a problem with getting them to lessons, but I may be able to work something out. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

Kara said...

Glad that you had a good walk! We got snow at the farm...probably 6 inches! Brrrrr!