Thursday, October 2, 2008

I don't know what to do!

Ugh! I have never had more difficulty making a decision in my life......................well, okay deciding where the garden boxes were going to be permanently placed was pretty stressful. This morning Gage woke up with a headache and feeling a little lightheaded. Scott gave him some Motrin to see if that would help. He said his stomach was feeling fine; however I was planning to keep him home from school this morning. When I was zipping up Emma's backpack this morning I was telling her about a note that was in her folder to give to her teacher about her upcoming field trip to Papa's Pumpkin Patch. Then Gage said, "Mom, I'm going to go to school, I'm feeling better." It was 8am and we usually leave around 8:15 or so, so I told him if he was going to go, he better get ready. He got up, got dressed, brushed his teeth and was ready to go. I asked him many times if he was sure he felt better and he said yes each time. I don't know if talking about Emma's field trip made him think about his field trip on Friday or what? We studied his spelling words on the way to school and he acted fine. I told him that I was going to work in the library until around 10, so that if he started feeling bad, to come get me, or I would have my cell phone on and he could call me. It was about 10:20 when I finished in the library and then started on my walk for home. When I got home I checked the answering machine to be sure I hadn't had a call, and there were no new messages. So, I went about making some Pumpkin muffins for Gage's birthday snack tomorrow. Around 11:15 the phone rang and it was Gage's teacher and she asked me if I had gotten her message. I told her I hadn't. She said that Gage wasn't feeling well and had thrown up at school. I felt horrible and left immediately to go get him. Apparently I was on my walk home when she called. Our stupid answering machine doesn't work all of the time. Many times it cuts people off during a message and then doesn't record it. It doesn't happen all the time, so it has me baffled. It seems to happen when the message being left isn't very loud, so I don't know if it just doesn't pick up sound and then cuts off or what? Anyway, poor Gage had sat at school for an hour waiting for someone to call or come get him. The frustrating part is that I was right there in the school, probably as it happened. Scott told me that he had a voice mail on his cell phone from Gage's teacher as well. Another frustrating part is that my cell phone did not ring and there were no missed calls, so I don't think she tried my cell phone? Anyway, I picked Gage up and brought him home. I talked to him about needing to cancel his birthday party for Friday and he was so sad and begged me not to. We talked about maybe having it another time. My big issue was that if I were going to postpone it, I needed to call the parents tonight because after they drop the kids off at school tomorrow, they'll all be planning to meet us at the bike rack to walk home with us and getting the message to them all during the day about cancelling Gage's party would be quite difficult, not to mention all of the chaos it would cause the parents. Gage was feeling better this evening and even ate a whole Subway sandwich. So far, we have not seen it again, so that is a GOOD thing! I ended up not calling the parents and praying Gage is feeling good tomorrow and the party will be a go. I do not have his cake baked yet and I am chaperoning his field trip to Buckstop Junction from 12:30-2:30. Tomorrow is going to be a very busy morning. We talked about having his party sometime this coming week, but the weather is going to be cold and rainy. Then Scott is going to be gone for the next 2 weekends and all of the week after next. The next Friday there is no school and then the following Friday is Halloween. There just isn't a good time later in the month for his party that we can count on having nice weather and I don't want to have 13 kids cooped up in the house unable to go outside!

I'm sure many of you are thinking I'm terrible for not cancelling it, and maybe I am. I just didn't know what to do. Please pray with me that tomorrow is going to be a GREAT day!

No comments: