Friday, October 26, 2007

Sleep

I never really knew how important sleep was until Emma was born. She was a terrible sleeper and cried alot. I was put onto this book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". I swear by that book. It is the only thing that saved me (and Emma) after she was born. I remember after reading it, and doing what it said, things started to change. Everyone was happier. At Emma's well-check, Dr. Kozel had asked about how well she was sleeping. I told her about the book, and we were putting her to bed at 6:30 pm and told her about what the book had us doing. She was amazed. She had never heard of it before. EVERY time we go to see her for well-checks or whatever, she says she tells ALL of her patients' parents about what we did and how that book helped. Sleep continues to be a very important factor. I notice it mostly with Gage. He certainly is affected when he doesn't get enough sleep. My goal each night is to have them in bed by 7 pm. When I tell people that, they think I am nuts. Our days go much easier and smoother, if we reach that nightly goal. Last night at 6:30 pm, I was itching for Scott to get home from his trip so I could get the kids in bed. He has been gone alot, and I knew he wanted to see them, and they were excited to see him. That was a BIG mistake. I know better. Today when we got home from school, Gage brought another sheet of homework home. (This was the 3rd one this week) I dread homework. Gage's buddy Ben talked about how he "hated homework". Well, that comment right there, if I could delete it from Gage's memory, I would do it in a second. Gage LOVES school. Gage HATES homework. I know it's because of this comment he heard Ben make. Anyway, after school I decided we had better get started on the homework. I hate putting it off, but this is the 3rd sheet, and I had already put the first 2 off, because none are due until Oct 29 and later. These are math sheets which involve playing games. They are very easy, and fun, but due to not having enough sleep last night, and his preconceived idea about homework, we had a huge meltdown. He was whining, crying and carrying on like a 2 year old. I could hardly contain myself from yelling at him (it's a good thing I have these dumb little rubber bands holding my mouth shut). This was all due to lack of sleep. I would like to do a study on all of the misbehaved kids in the world regarding their sleep habits. I would almost guarantee that the majority of them aren't getting the sleep they need. People think that the older the child is, the less sleep they need, and typically as kids get older, they get to stay up later. This is not true. The older they get, the more sleep they need. I am living proof! My friend Emily has this same book and swears by it as well. Its fun when we're together and someone mentions they have a kid who won't sleep. That is the first thing we both mention, "Do you have the book called, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"? Usually they respond, "I have tried EVERYTHING and NOTHING works!" I guarantee this book will work.(unless of course there are underlying medical problems.) If you truly give it a chance and do what it says, you will not be disappointed.

Since I have started this transcription job I have noticed how important sleep is for me too. When I am sleepy, it is extremely difficult to really pay CLOSE attention to what the doctors are dictating. There is a huge difference in my ability depending on how tired or alert I am. It's amazing.

Anyone having problems with their child and sleep or even school issues, I swear by this book. Mine is currently out on loan, and I hope I get it back!

1 comment:

GE is me said...

Stacy, I haven't read that book, but I am a firm believer in the things you said. I had read other things in other books about that. We try to get our girls in bed by 7pm every night as well. Although lately it seems like I've (we've) become lax in that area. I know what you're talking about as far as misbehaving. I've also noticed that my level of patience with the girls is directly related to the amount (or lack thereof) of sleep I got the previous night.
-Gail